I’ve made a load of instagram pics based on these facts, feel free to check them out: https://instagram.com/dpp.author.
Here are 17 of my favourite facts about the brain:
- The human brain feels no pain.
- Unconsciousness will occur 8-10 seconds after loss of blood supply to the brain.
- A newborn baby’s brain grows about three times its size in the first year.
- The brain is made up of about 75% water.
- The belief that humans only use 10% of their brains is false. Every part of the brain has a known function.
- Your brain uses 20% of the total oxygen and blood in your body.
- When you learn something new the structure of your brain changes.
- It only takes six minutes for brain cells to react to alcohol.
- There is no Left Brain/Right Brain divide. It’s a myth. They work together.
- We have more brain cells as a newborn baby than we will ever have again.
- 60% of your brain is fat.
- The feeling of certainty can be triggered without the need for facts or reasoning using electric stimulation over a specific part of the brain.
- Alcohol doesn’t make you forget anything. When you get blackout drunk, the brain temporarily loses the ability to create memories.
- When awake, the human brain produces enough electricity to power a small lightbulb.
- In 2015, the 4th most powerful supercomputer in the world took 40 minutes to stimulate just one second of human brain activity.
- Half our brains can be removed by surgery with no apparent effect on personality or memory.
- An ostrich’s eye is bigger than it’s brain.
If you’ve enjoyed this post, please follow my blog.
David P. Philip